Friday, August 13, 2010

The Nail Job


Yesterday I was caught off guard. For many years I owned rental property and a lot of it was not in the best part of town. I am accustomed to being approached by vagrants, beggars, panhandlers and con men/women. Some have unique stories, but, most want gas money or just money. Usually, they have recently run out of gas or they don't have enough fuel to get to California. They seem to hang around convenience stores the most. I never give them money. It is always interesting to watch their reaction when you say, "I can't give you any money, but I do have a gallon of gas I can put in your car" I have never had to go that far. They have some other excuse. Usually, they don't even have a car.

Yesterday about 1:11pm I had stopped at a nice Exxon filling station/convenience store to "fill 'er up". It was 95 degrees. I left the nozzle in the truck pumping and went inside to get me a soda water. When I came out I noticed an Asian looking lady talking to the guy on the other side of the pump. I removed the pump nozzle and started to open the door, she stepped toward me and said something. I thought, uh oh, another panhandler wanting some money to buy a bus ticket to Disney World. She had a thick accent and I asked her to repeat herself several times before I realized what she was saying. She said, "You want to come to my room and do whatever you want?" Since I had just recently had a pedicure, I said, "No thank you" and left. Reflecting back, I now realize that she was wanting to polish more than my nails.

Hey, at least she was working and not begging. Must have been raised a Republican.

No comments:

Post a Comment