Monday, February 21, 2011

Chevy vs Ford

Back in the 60's you were either a Chevy or Ford guy.  Facts didn't matter, you were either on one side of the other.  There was always discussions on which car was the fastest.
 
Some time during the early 60's, the two guys  with the fastest cars decided to answer the question.  It was an impromptu race.  Three or four of my buddies were at the local Pig Stand drive in drinking shakes and eating fries when the word begin to spread.

Interstate 10 west of Beaumont was not completed.  Concrete had been poured on the west bound lane but not open to traffic.  The race was to take place on the unopened lanes .  It was dark and 100s of people showed up and were lining the side of the road.  This was before cell phones, twitter, even pagers, but, nevertheless the word spread.  We road to the spot supposed to be the finish line and all got out to watch.  As we gathered near what was to be the finish line, a vehicle with lights on came through.  It was an old pick up and kept on going.  Then the Ford took off and as it raced across the finish line with the driver hollering.  "COPS"!!  Everyone scrambled for their vehicles to make an escape.  I had drifted away from my friends and by the time I got to where we had parked, they were gone.
It appeared that the pick up was a local constable that went to the other end of the concrete and set up a road block.  I jumped into the first car available and it was one of my other classmates, Richard Cook.  Richard knew a back way out  and we took a dirt road and got out.  We went back to the Pig Stand to await the arrival of my "Friends" (two are shown above).  In a couple of hours they all showed up.  They weren't as lucky and were stopped by the cops and charged with "unlawful assembly".  I think it cost them about $50 each.  Still don't know which car was the fastest.  All I know is that on that day, "Cookie" was my hero

No comments:

Post a Comment