Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

It has been 26 years since my Dad passed away and rarely does a day pass that I don't think about him and the positive influence he has had on me.  "Pop" was a WWII veteran and a Bronze Star recipient.  Like most of "The Greatest Generation" he rarely talked about the war or any of his other accomplishments for that matter.  He moved our family from Grapevine, Texas to Beaumont about 1950.  He resumed his college education that was cut short by the War and graduated from the
U of Houston in 1956. 

I can write many stories about my Dad.  But, I would like to share two experiences that I have never forgotten.  Two events that reflected his character and hopefully describe mine.
I was about five or six and he had taken me to a filling station in Grapevine.  When we got home he realized that I had a package of chewing gum and I had no money.  It was pretty obvious that I was on the verge of a "life of crime".  He explained to me the evils of stealing and took me back to the filling station and made me go inside and tell the owner what I had done and pay him for the gum.

As a young couple trying to raise two boys in the 50s, my parents didn't splurge on entertainment.  Most of their social life consisted of going to other couples houses and playing "42".  Since money was an issue, babysitters were out of the question and we kids were brought along and expected to behave while the adults played.  After returning home from one such evening,  my Dad called my aside and explained to me that he was displeased with my behavior.  Apparently I had responded to some other adults by saying, "Yeah" or "Huh".  It was that one night that I learned the proper response when questioned by any adult.  Yes or No was the minimum acceptable.  "Yes Sir or Ma'am" or "No Sir or Ma'am" were the preferred responses.  He explained that in such a manner that I have never forgotten.

To this day I will still say "Yes Ma'am" to women half my age.  I'm not taking any chances. 
Thanks, Pop.

No comments:

Post a Comment