Friday, January 17, 2014

Dress Code

The best thing about retirement is the dress code.  I have always been at my highest comfort level in a pair of Wranglers and boots.  Today I have subsituted New Balance running shoes for the more manly footwear, but the jeans and occasional bib overalls are my staple attire.





Since retiring, I have been to several weddings and funerals. Jeans and an occasional sport coat suit me just fine.  I think the secret to adhering to the "Retirement Dress Code" is being comfortable in your own skin.  I really don't care what others think. As long as my apparel is clean, what difference does it make. 

However, there has been one situation that I broke the code.  It was under extreme pressure that I folded.  My daughter had received a prestigious teacher's award and I was invited  (and expected) to attend.  Jeans were NOT an option.  Attending was!  I didn't even own a suit.  Being "cheap" I didn't want to spend money on something I would wear only once.  Twice, if you count my funeral. 

After finally accepting that it was my daughter's feelings that were at stake, not mine, I bought a new suit.  I tried the Goodwill store, but they had nothing in my size. I even got some black socks and some "pimp-looking" shoes to go with it.  I even got a hair cut.

I was a great night, but, my feet hurt the entire time.










1 comment:

  1. AND AS I REMEMBER SEEING YOU IN THE SUIT, YOU LOOKED JUST FINE DRESSED UP AND NOT IN YOUR NORMAL BASEBALL CLOTHING.

    ReplyDelete