Monday, April 28, 2014

The Bow Tie

After finishing college I went to work with DuPont in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  I accepted a job as a First Line Supervisor in the textile fibers.  The dress code was implied.  A short sleeve shirt and a tie.
Due to the safety regulations, the tie had to be tucked between the second and third button of the shirt.


My Dad had taught me how to tie a half and full Windsor knots when I was a teenager.  I preferred the full Windsor and can still tie a pretty mean knot. For fourteen years I wore a tie to work every day.  Upon transferring to the Beaumont plant, I continued to wear a tie to work.  The dress code was a lot more casual and eventually I quit wearing ties.  Today I rarely wear a tie and like not doing so.


But, my story is about a bow tie.  During my college years I had many occasions to wear a tuxedo. Since my Dad and I were similar in size, he bought a tux that both of us could wear and not have to rent one for every wedding or formal occasion.  My Dad wore bow ties most of the time.  He refused to wear the "clip-on" type and tied his own ties.  Every time I had to wear a tux, my Dad would tie my tie. 


At one point in my senior year of college, I was in a wedding in Houston.  I took the tux along with all of the accessories with me.  It was not until the night before the wedding that I realized I did not know how to tie a "bow tie"   None of the people, adults included, that were  around, knew how to tie it.  All I remembered was Pop mentioning that you tie one just like a shoe string.  So, after the reception, I stayed up most of night practicing.  It was a lot harder than the full Windsor.


I finally got an acceptable knot.  Only problem it was a little crooked.  Fortunately, the bride was beautiful and no one cared about my tie.


Today, I am an expert at putting on a clip on bow tie.

No comments:

Post a Comment