Friday, November 25, 2016

Pre Game Wee Wees


All of my competitive life I have experienced a problem.  It doesn't seem to matter the event, or in my case, one's age.  I have witnessed many others with a similar issue, but never really discussed it with them.  Is it anxiety, nervousness or poor planning, I don't know. 

I always have to pee right before the start of the event

When I was playing football, it never failed.  The urge always occurred after I had gotten completely suited out.  Then you have to remove half of your pads to go.  Once on a bus trip one of my teammates had to go so bad that they had to pull the bus over at a filling station and let him off to go.
The coaches were not happy. 

During my off road motorcycle racing days, I always had to go right before the start.  Again, off with the pads and gloves, stand in line at some cherry flavored Johnny on the Spot and go.  Happened every race. 

Running is no different.  The only exception is that it is easier, but there are more people in line.  This is complicated by the fact that most runners hydrate before the race, requiring more than one emergency visit.  My bladder control hasn't changed over the years.  The same symptoms occurred in my first race in Chattanooga in the '70's and yesterday at the Beaumont Sea Rim Striders annual TurkeyTrot.
                                                                                                                                                             Being a country boy, I have found that Mother Nature can reduce the wait.  Many years ago I was running in the Chickamauga Battlefield Park with friend Bobby Ward.  We were about half way through a long run and all of a sudden he just ran off the road into the woods.  I slowed down and in a few minutes he caught up.  He said he just had to GO! 

Several years ago at the Crystal Beach 5K, I decided to ignore the last minute urge and start the race.  I thought about needing to pee the entire 5K.  When I came through the finish line, I just kept going to the Porta Johns. 

Paraphrasing Jack Nicholson  in the movie, The Bucket List, "Never pass up an opportunity to pee."




No comments:

Post a Comment