Saturday, July 8, 2017

Pills Are For Sellin' Not Takin'

My Great-Grandfather, Zachary Taylor Wall and my Grandfather, Clifford Wall were both pharmacists in Grapevine, Texas.  I even have a copy of a prescription that was written by Z. T. Wall in 1879.  The actual drug is difficult to read, but underneath it says with whiskey.  Grapevine was a "dry" town in the 19th Century. 

Growing up under two generations of drug store owners, my Mother (Babe as we affectionately called her)  had plenty of exposure to the business.  I recall a conversation I had with her when she was in her early 80s about her medications.  She told me that she wasn't taking all of them.  When I questioned her about it, she replied that, in her family, pills were for selling, not taking. 

Babe was only 15 when her Mother died during the Great Depression.  Forced to take over the household during difficult economic times, she was very resourceful and remained so her entire life.
I recall meals at home growing up.  It didn't take long to learn that what wasn't eaten during the week was going to show up in the soup on the weekend.

I have been accused of being cheap, tight, chintzy, etc.  A trait that I don't deny.  But, as you can see from the above I came about it honestly. 

Upon moving back to Texas during the 80's, I decided that I needed a new belt to wear with my jeans.  Of course, I needed one with my name on the back.  While shopping at a local store, I noticed a table full of belts.  Apparently they were defects or had been returned.  One caught my eye and it was the size I was looking for.  Only problem, the name on the back was "Greg".  Since the belts were only $2.88 each, I decided it would be fine.  I bought the belt and begin wearing it. At social gatherings people would come up to me and call me Greg.  After a couple of years my niece and nephew gave me a belt for Christmas with "Jim" on the back.  I'd still be wearing the "Greg" belt today if it would fit.


Several years later we moved to the country.  For Christmas, I thought I would get the kids in the real spirit of Christmas.  We would go out in the woods and find a suitable Christmas tree and cut it down.  Since furs and few cedars grow in Southeast Texas, we cut down a small pine and then cut off the top six feet to use as our tree.  I must admit  that it was a bit sparse, but it got decorated anyway. Years later I heard my daughter talking with my friend, Don Webb.  He mentioned the story about the tree and Jennifer said, "Yes, that was the Christmas I learned the meaning of frugal".

This past week I took my wife to the doctor for some discomfort she was experiencing.  He prescribed a couple of medications and three B-12 shots.  I was told that the pharmacy could give her the shots as a courtesy.  We got the medication, sans whiskey, but the pharmacist said they don't give shots.  I was told to go to the Minute Clinic, but I knew they would charge me.  So, being the frugal person I am, I told my wife I would give her the shots.  She asked me if I had ever given a shot before and I told her I had.  After giving her the shot the next day, I confessed that I had given shots before, but they were to the horses. 




No comments:

Post a Comment