Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Blind Hog Finds an Acorn Every once in awhile

It was Christmas of 2006 when my daughter gave me a coupon to buy tickets to see the Houston Astros play during the 2007 season. Great present. We just had to select the date we wanted to attend.

Being a Lamar University College Baseball fan, I wanted to wait until their season was over. I then realized that this would be the year that Craig Biggio would reach 3000 hits. To determine the date I developed some complicated mathematical formulas and selected the date with the highest probability he would get 3000. (Actually, I figured he would hit .240, sit out day games and the Astros would hold him out of the line-up if he was likely to get that hit on the road). Anyway that date came and we were in the stands. Biggio was three hits short of 3000. A habit I learned from my parents, we arrived at Minute Maid Park early and had some time to take some pictures. One of my high school friends, Dr. Gene Coleman, is the strength and conditioning coach for the 'Stros. Before the game I decided to take a few pictures of Gene. That's when the luck really began. The above picture not only includes my old buddy, but #7 Biggio. Also, stretching is ladies heart throb, Brad Ausmus and current Astro Hunter Pence. I have no idea about #85's identity. As "real luck" would have it the DuPont stock ticker was scrolling by. I worked for DuPont for 38+ years.

In summary, Biggio got the three hits + two more to put him over the 3000 mark. Sure Hall of Fame numbers for someone that played the game the way it should be played. Oswalt started the game, pitched 7 innings and gave up one earned run. Berkman hit a homer in the late innings to get Houston back in the game. Carlos Lee hit a "walk-off" home run in the 11th inning to give Houston the win.

This was one of the Top Five Baseball games I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment