Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dog Days of Summer


Today is the way it is suppose to be in SE Texas. High of 95 degrees with a heat index of 111. Except for an occasional winter blizzard, it don't get cold down here. That's what I like about living on the Bayou. That, and the dress code, of course. (Does anyone ever wonder why Carrier's headquarters are in Syracuse). It's these hot, humid days of summer, that bring to mind the hottest days I can remember. Two particular ones come to mind. The first was in 1962. I was just out of high school and preparing to enter college in the fall. The only job I could land was with a construction company that built filling stations. (Uh, some may call them gas stations) Anyway the company was preparing to pour some concrete for an approach apron. In order to prepare the surface we had to remove about 6 inches of oyster shell base. When these shells are laid wet, they set up like concrete. Anyway, the boss had us busting up this stuff in order to be able to remove it. I was on the working end of a "grub hoe". It looks sorta like a big pick ax. It was on or about August 7th and the temperature reached 107. That was before heat index was known. To quote Robin Williams in "Good Morning, Vietnam" , it was "HOT, DAMN HOT!". That was the day I confirmed I wanted to go to college. Today when you pass a road crew in the USA, working on any project, make a note of how many 18 year old, college bound, white boys are working. 48 years ago there was one. By the way, I was making the minimum wage of $1.25.
The second day, was in late Septemeber right after Hurricane Rita. I had over 70 trees down and was on the working end of a chain saw. Electricity was out and no A/C in the house. But, that is worth another story.
Right now I am going to just enjoy this hot and humid, mostly sunny day and thank God it don't get cold on the Bayou

No comments:

Post a Comment