Thursday, January 20, 2011

One Man's Junk is Another Man's Treasure

I look forward to junk mail.  Yep, you heard it right.  Before, most of it went straight to the trash.   I got to analyzing what I was getting in the mail.  Most of it was credit card applications. I have been a member of American Express since 1984 and don't need another creditor.  While discussing this problem with my friend, Jay O'Neal, he suggested how to handle this issue.  If the junk contains a prepaid, self addressed envelope, he simply mails the empty envelope back.

I thought about that and since I am a retiree with a part time job, I certainly have time to open all of this junk mail.  Now, I have added to my morning coffee, paper and Suduko the task of handling the junk mail from the day before.  I usually write them a nice little note, thanking them for their interest and put it in the mail. 

In so doing  I am providing the US Postal service revenue and more job security for the postal workers as well as the clerks that have to process the envelopes at their final destination.  Since most are mailed to destinations in the US (Today's batch was returned to DE, NY and UT), I am boosting the US economy.
Unless, of course, they are just loaded on a boat and shipped to Mumbai.  But,  I am a "glass half-full" guy!

By the way, have you ever noticed the interest rates on some of those credit cards? 


No comments:

Post a Comment