Saturday, July 28, 2012

Good Dog, Joe Fred

During 2011 I lost my dog, Joe Fred.  Joe Fred was 14 and the best dog I ever had.  A chocolate lab that weighed about 90 pounds with an even temper.  He only barked at the deer in the pasture and an occasional stranger. Occasionally, he would corner a rabbit or squirrel.  I don't know how he ever moved fast enough to catch them.  Must have caught them asleep in the yard.  He could jump the fence, but would only do it if you were on the other side and he felt left out.  He would ride mainly in the bed of the truck,  But, if it was raining, he rode in the cab while my wife rode in the back.

When Joe Fred was still a pup, we had just bought a beach cabin on Bolivar Peninsula.  The cabin was a "fixer upper" and was in a state of remodeling.  We had no air conditioning and left the windows and doors open at night.  That first summer a "red tide " had caused a massive saltwater catfish kill and they were all over the beach.  I awoke one morning with Joe Fred licking my face.  I instantly detected a very foul odor.  I looked on the floor and Joe Fred had brought me one of those rotting catfish.  As the years went by we spent a lot of time at the beach.  He was my constant companion. If I tried to fish in the surf, he would swim out to where I was standing. 

Joe Fred and his litter mate and sister, Reno. 
A good dog is hard to replace.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment