Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Excuse Me

In December 1979 I accepted a job transfer from Chattanooga, Tennessee to the Beaumont, Texas plant.
It took about a month to get my family moved and in the meantime, I stayed with my parents while the kids were finishing the mid term in school.  At that time I was still riding dirt bikes and training for 10K road races.  I was probably in the best shape of my life.


While staying with my parents I renewed my relationship with Blue Bell Ice Cream.  Mainly Homemade Vanilla with chocolate syrup.  I put on a few pounds the first three or four months back in Beaumont.

I still had not adjusted to the more casual dress code of Southeast Texas.  I wore slacks, shirt and tie each day to work.  It was one day when Blue Bell and Sartorial Splendor led to the following event.

In addition to the slacks, shirt and tie, I usually wore wing tip shoes over a pair of black or brown
over-the-calf socks.  While bending over to pick up something off the floor, I ripped the seam out of my pants.  A number of female clerks worked in the building.  I asked one of them, Mary Crippen, if she had a needle and thread as I planned to sew up my pants.  Mary asked why I needed them and upon finding out volunteered to do the patch work for me.  Knowing that my seamstress skills were limited, I accepted her offer.   She told me to go into the men's room, take off my pants and hand them to her on the other side of the door. 

Before entering the bathroom, I got a cup of coffee to take with me while I waited on her to make the repairs.  There I was standing in the men's room with shirt and tie, wing tip shoes and knee length nylon socks and my jockey shorts drinking coffee when one of my employees walked in.  He took one look at me and said, "Excuse me", turned around and walked out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment