Monday, May 28, 2012

Was it a Boondoggle?

It was in the early 1990s and I was attending a business meeting in Hilton Head, South Carolina. Some people might refer to that as a "boondoggle".  But, that was usually the people that didn't get to go.  Anyway, I was attending this business meeting.  The lodging was a block of condos with several rooms. Somebody assigned five or six attendees to each condo.   I was assigned to a three bedroom condo.  It had two bedrooms down stairs with two separate beds in each one.  Upstairs was the third bedroom, containing one king size bed.  Since I was the first to arrive, I staked claim on the room upstairs so I wouldn't have to share a room.  It was later that day I discovered six people had been assigned to that particular condo.  Do the math!!

Turned out not to be a problem as my "roommate"  stayed out all night and didn't bother my sleep pattern.

After working diligently all day in the business meetings, the organizers treated us to an outside shrimp boil along the pine tree shaded Atlantic shore.  Dress was "business casual".  For me that meant blue jeans and a polo shirt.  Since I only knew a few of the participants, I randomly selected a seat and introduced myself to those around me.  As we peeled a few shrimp, the discussion turned to the dress code.  The guy across from me was wearing a white shirt with what looked like embroidery all over the front.  Someone asked him what kind of shirt he was wearing.  He replied, "It is a Mexican wedding shirt."   I promptly responded, "Who wears it, the bride or the groom?" 

After a few seconds of quite, the guy responded,  "Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between sarcasm and ignorance"

Turns out he was some pretty high ranking guy in the company.

That was the last boondoggle I was invited to.

1 comment:

  1. sarcasm sounds like my comment would be.

    ReplyDelete