Wednesday, May 9, 2012

You Always Have a Choice.

Sometimes the things people say just stick in your mind.  Some of those conversations I recall as if they were yesterday.  Some because they were embarrassing, some were prophetic, some provided key learning's and some were just funny. 
One of the first examples occurred in my high school math class.  Miss Lera MacFarland was an outstanding math teacher and probably one of the biggest influences in my life.  I remember when we were discussing the use of the slide rule and its importance in college.  Most engineering students wore their slide rule on their belt like a holster.   Miss Mac said that someday college students would wear computers on their belts instead of the slide rule.  I remembering snickering and thinking that old fool was loosing her mind as the computers of the day were vacuum tube monstrosities that occupied large rooms in climate controlled environments.  By the time I graduated. Texas Instruments had developed and was selling the SR10 Calculator.  A mini computer that could more accurately do everything a slide rule could do.  You guessed it!  It could be worn on your belt.

Another incident occurred many years later.  I was responsible for the operations and maintenance of all plant utilities, services and logistics.  I preferred time in the field where the action took place over time in the office.  One day I visited a job several of my mechanics were working.  Larry Plant was one of the best mechanics I ever worked with.  Larry, obviously not used to superintendent's visiting the field asked me,  "What are you doing out here"?  Upon which I replied, "I am trying to catch y'all goofing off".  Without hesitation, Larry said, "Well as little as you know about maintenance and as much as we know about goofing off, you will never catch us"

Another incident occurred within that same group of mechanics.  In order to improve our efficiency, I had developed a process of increasing flexibility of the skilled mechanics and operators.  During peak periods of work, we would move people around to avoid sending work to off-site contractors, thus reducing costs and saving jobs.   Planning for a large shutdown I told, Ray Strickland, one of the auto shop mechanics, I needed him to work in the valve shop during the shutdown. Ray expressed his displeasure, whereupon I told him,  "you are just going to have to take one for the team".   Being the quality of person he was he said no more.

After a couple of days into the shutdown, I decided to give the valve shop a visit to see how things were working out.  During that period of time Barry Switzer was still the Cowboys coach but was catching a lot of heat.  When I showed up, Ray came up to me and said he had been thinking about what I had told him about the team thing and declared,  "We are a lot like the Cowboys,  We need a new Coach"!!  I loved that guy!!

Another thing I remember came from one of my peers, Lloyd Brumfield.  He was discussing some of the work done by David Bleakley.  Dave is one of the BEST people I have ever known.  A top notch electrician with a super attitude.  Lloyd, speaking of Dave, said, "It is hard to lead someone that is moving faster than you are"

One time while riding to the Houston airport with Jack Hodge, he said something that I have remembered from that day forward.  We left my house about an hour later than I would normally do when traveling alone.  About half way there Jack was driving about 85 mph.  I blurted out, "You are making me nervous".  Jack, a rather deep thinker, responded, "Nervous,  Can I make you rich?"  After pondering what he said, I realized that meant I was the one choosing to be nervous.  He had just created the environment.  From that day I have realized that we all choose the way we act.  We can blame it on the surroundings, but individually, we make our own decisions.   So, the next time someone "makes you mad", just remember YOU are the one that chose to be mad. 

You always have a choice.  And, you are responsible for that choice

No comments:

Post a Comment